Kariaini Factory is one of the coffee refineries that is now part of the Mwirua Farmers' Cooperative Society, and was established in 1954 in the Kirinyaga County.
Growers in the area planted coffee seeds in 1952, and in 1954, the first harvest year, Mwirua Farmers' Cooperative Society and its refinery, Kariaini Factory, were established. At the time, it was the only refinery in the colony, and the first of many that exist today.
The area is located at an altitude of 1600 meters and is characterized by red volcanic ash soil. The temperature ranges from 13 to 26 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall is 1100 mm, making it a favorable area for coffee production. Water from the Rundu River is used for the washing process at the factory. The cherries harvested by the surrounding farmers are brought to the factory on the same day, and within 24 hours of harvest, the cherries are peeled with a disc pulper, fermented for 18 to 48 hours, washed, and then dried in the sun on African beds for 5 to 30 days, depending on the weather conditions.