We will be hosting our 3rd Brewers Tournament at PIECE HOSTEL SANJO on July 27th!
It's been a year and half since our first and the second tournament- thank you so much for waiting! This time, we introduced a new and exciting condition- "No Aeropress"!
By using the same beans, professional or not, everyone can use whatever their favorite brewing gear is, except for Aeropress/American Press, to make the perfect cup. Of course, you are welcome to attend as an audience, and we hope you can enjoy this magical world of coffee together with us! Register to attend now!
Admission fee for audience：1000JPY （including one drink at PIECE HOSTEL SANJO and a small gift from Kurasu）
Please email us at email@example.com with a title "Brewers Tournament Audience Application."
We are planning not only the tournament but also many exciting workshops for you to enjoy!
*The tournament will be conducted in Japanese.
<To attend the tournament as a competitor>
Registration fee：2500JPY (paid on site, cash only)
We cut off the application on 11:59PM July 14th, then we will be live streaming the lottery on Instagram on 6:00PM July 15th.
Qualification: Coffee professionals, baristas, home brewers, and all who love brewing a good cup of coffee.
Apply here: https://forms.gle/Ku4sz4VswdQSVBeaA
Mahlkonig EK43 Coffee Grinder
Water: tap water at PIECE HOSTEL SANJO or filtered water. You are welcome to bring any water of your choice.
You need to bring:
Dripper, filter, water (of your choice if you wish), kettle and other brewing equipment
100g of beans to be used at the tournament will be sent to the competitors 10 days in advance to calibrate, and another 100g will be provided on site before the tournament starts.
1. The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
2. In each round, three competitors brew coffee simultaneously.
3. Competitors have 5 minutes to prepare, then 8 minutes in which to brew, and present their coffee.
4. When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
5. The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
6. On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
7. The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
1. Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
2. Any type of dripper is allowed except for Aeropress and American Press. Clever Dripper and Switch are allowed.
3. Any type of filter is allowed, which includes paper, metal, cloth etc.
4. Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder, kettle, scales, water, or other equipment.
5. The officially announced and provided coffee beans are the only beans you can use.
6. Competitors must present a minimum of 150ml of coffee, in the vessel provided.
7. Coffees not presented within the time limit will not be evaluated.
8. Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification.
1. Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and spit.
2. Competitor’s names will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
3. There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?"
4. Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
5. On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cup of their choosing.
6. After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the winner.
7. In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a predetermined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round.
The winner will be honored by Kurasu with a prize.
Amongst many competitions for the coffee lovers all over the world such as latte art, barista championship, roasting etc., this time we will focus on the very essential, “brewing”- all of this is for our simple wish to make coffee open and welcoming to everyone, and to make one more coffee lover each day. We are so excited! Come join us to make this special occasion even more wonderful.